|CIRCUS: 06 JANUARY 2016
But Wait ... There's More | Circus Oz (http://www.circusoz.com) | Entertainment Quarter, Moore Park, Sydney | Until 24 January
Slapstick and mishaps belie the strength, grace, control of Circus Oz's latest production
A new production from Circus Oz has become a highlight for Oz Baby Boomers. This year we sent along Gail McCudden to experience the very vibrant company’s But Wait ... There’s More.
Here, in point form, are her thoughts on the experience:
- By the time seats are filled and the lights have dimmed in The Big Top, the audience is starting to suspect they’ve been infiltrated by some hyperactive and gaudily clad 15-year-olds.
- An impish and irrepressible girl leaps lightly onto a handy lap and begins an earnest conversation with an unsuspecting recipient.
- Meanwhile, a reedy-voiced bloke in a loud jacket and with a careless comb-over lurches about haranguing late-comers, while a doddery old dear with a halo of fairy-floss hair totters about looking lost.
- Friendly informality is accompanied by bumbling and fumbling, shuffling and shambling.
- Slapstick and mishaps belie the strength, grace, control shown by tumbling teams, flying trapeze, gymnasts and artists.
- A unicycle duo is gracefully fluid, as if waltzing on ice.
- The music is lusty and comical, providing a New Orleans street-style rendition of a fully fledged Austrian Oompah band, creating moods that at once convey energy, suspense, frenzy, awe and confusion.
- A bewildered ‘barcode’ side-kick/assistant is rubber-limbed, perpetually perplexed, neurotically nervous, harried and demented.
For more information, visit http://www.circusoz.com.